Thursday, March 21, 2013

Let the NCAA Tournament Madness Begin: President Obama Picks Indiana University to Win It All!

Today is March 21, 2013 . . . do you know where your NCAA Tournament bracket is?  OK, as you can tell this post is not going to be your conventional ForwardUniversity.com post about navigating the strictures of the college application/financial aid process or any other emanation or penumbra of either of those two things.  Instead, I want this post to be fun in celebration of my favorite annual sports event:  the NCAA Basketball Tournament!  No other sporting event quite does for me what the NCAA Tourney has done for me for years . . . and I do mean "for years."  As a matter of fact, filling out the ole trusted tournament bracket remains an annual rite of passage for me.  It's like saying "welcome Miss Spring," and "goodbye Mr. Winter!" 
 
OK, enough of the dramatics.  By now most of you future collegians are filling out residence hall applications, and perhaps even freshman orientation registration and selection materials, and other college related forms or things.  If you aren't engaged in such activities these days, tis' for shame--because I know that you either applied late to your college choices and haven't received your coveted acceptance letters yet, or you are the consummate procrastinator, and haven't applied to any colleges yet!  If the latter of these two scenarios fits your modus operandi then you need to holler at me quick for a little needed motivational kick in the rear or more realistically a little digital pep talk so that you can kick it in gear, and handle your business.
 
OK, now that the general housekeeping stuff is all wrapped up, here is the real gist of today's post.  As I alluded to above, today marks the official start of the 2013 NCAA Basketball Tournament, and of course I have my bracket all filled out, completed and entered into a few contests.  But today, I am going to do something I have never done before--I am going to share my Final Four picks and compare them to President Barack Obama's Final Four picks.  Yeah, I know I am putting it all on the line--after all, el Presidente is an avid basketball fan, and even gets to highlight his Final Four picks each year on ESPN's Bracketology Show or should I say "Baracketology."  In all honesty, for the past four or five years that the POTUS has shared his bracket on ESPN--Barack Obama's NCAA picks have been pretty good.  In fact, last year President Obama correctly picked two of the Final Four teams (Kentucky and Ohio State, I believe). 
 
Nevertheless, this year President Obama has picked Louisville, Florida, Ohio State and Indiana to make it to the Final Four with Indiana winning it all!  Sadly, I have to strongly disagree with the Commander and Chief's executive decision, and I respectfully submit that this year's Final Four party will consist of Ohio State, Duke, Miami and Kansas (see the Obama's picks below): 
I am going to refrain from getting into a war of words with anybody regarding my picks versus the POTUS' picks--I just think that he is wrong about Indiana (reasonable minds can disagree and will)winning it all this year!  Yet, Barack and I do have one team in common:  Ohio State--my choice to win it all this year.  I believe that Ohio State is geared to make an incredible post-season run through the tournament barring a lackluster performance in the earlier rounds against a team like Arizona. 
 
So, having said all of this, one final analogy for those who haven't completed their college applications/admissions process--its Final Four time baby . . . so get up and make your final college selection and we'll see you at the Big Dance next year baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment